Monday, October 11, 2010

Hudsonian Godwit

 It was in October of last year at Quidi Vidi Lake that I found this small bird. I looked through all the resources to try to identify it. When I was unsuccessful, I submitted it to several of the resident birders in St. John's who advised me that it is a Hudsonian Godwit.
 Then, in October of this year, I came across this bird that is much more like the Hudsonian Godwits in the books and posted on the Internet. I am very confused about why these two birds of a feather look so different. The first bird is much more gray and is much smaller than my latest find. What accounts for the difference? I really don't know.
 It is a regular occurrence for the Hudsonian Godwit to show up in Newfoundland during its fall migration. To better show the migration route for this bird, please visit this helpful web site. http://www.borealbirds.org/birdguide/mig_map_hudsonian_godwit.shtml
It is interesting that the Hudsonian Godwit was found in two very different locals. One is knee-deep in water and the other is knee-deep in grass (actually a hay field, I think.)
This Godwit was particularly wary of people and could not be approached or it would lift off. I had to settle for shots taken from quite a distance, while the first bird was very relaxed with my presence. Note: The first picture was taken with my Sony point and shoot camera. The second set of shots were taken with my Canon with a 300 mm lens.

If any one knows why these two birds look so different, please submit a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment