Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Miss That Turned into a Hit - Northern Mockingbird

On November 29, 2011 I headed to Pine Bud
Avenue in pursuit of a possible Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  I have never seen one.  I didn't know where Pine Bud Avenue was but a quick "Google" pointed me in the right direction. As I left Carpasian I was alert scanning all of the trees and yards for anything moving.  Nothing....nada!

I crossed over Bonaventure Ave. into Pine Bud Place.  At last I spotted three BC Chickadees sitting in a tree. I quickly pulled over and stopped because even this was better than nothing. I watched as they flitted around the almost empty Dogberry Tree. I sat in the car and watched.  In no time they vanished.
I sat waiting for a little while longer hoping they would return and bring their friends. I caught sight of something moving toward the left, I found it (a Northern Mockingbird) sitting on the same Dogberry Tree on the right side of the road.  Not wanting to get out of the car and spook the bird, I took a couple of shots through the window. Then in a flash....it was gone too. 

Again, more waiting.  This time I put down both windows and sat. Within ten minutes out popped the Northern Mockingbird again.  This time on the other side of the road. I got a few pictures and then decided to get a better look with my binoculars.  Sometime in between me raising and lowering the glass, the bird was gone!

This all occurred around 10:30 to 10:45 in the morning. I had been fretting a little because I got a late start on that morning.  After seeing the mockingbird I wasn't fretting any more.
I have returned to the area on four different ocassions in an attempt to see this bird again to add to the Winter List but I didn't see a single bird in the area.

I hadn't forgotten about the possibility of seeing the Rose-breasted Grosbeak so I have driven Pine Bud Ave. and surrounding roads but have yet to find a flock of finches to scan.  I must say that is about the only area that isn't bustling with finches.  I have seen huge flocks flying over the Stick Pond turnaround and on Blackhead Road. There seem to be many finches and plenty of Purple Finches to check for any irregularities.

Wow!  Two posts in one day!  I felt rather verbose this morning but will stay home today to put together my Christmas Village with my eldest granddaughter so it is not likely that I will get back to my computer for any length of time today.  Of course if a special bird turns up around town my dear granddaughter may get yet another lesson in bird birdwatching.

After thought:  On Saturday evening my granddaughter and I were sitting in the car in Torbay waiting for the Christmas Parade.  To fill the time, I made a little chip with my bird call that was in the cup holder in my car.  I asked her, "What kind of bird was that?"  Without a moment's hesitation she blurted out, "Speckled Warbler!" I was shocked.  Where did she get that?  I learned later that one of her favorite TV shows, "Max and Ruby" often carry out bird watching expeditions and they have found the rare "Speckled Warbler." Her exposure to that, I guess, has made my birding "normal" in her eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment