Sunday, June 21, 2015

Olive-sided Flycatcher - Bidgood Park

 The list of great birds showing up at Bidgood Park is continuing to grow, as is the number of new birders enjoying the show with shiny new binoculars.
 With today being a holiday, it was just too challenging to bird along the gravel roads. Off road machines roared by stirring up clouds of dust and lots of little rocks. Deciding to drop into Bidgood Park to check for butterflies turned out to be a good thing.
As soon as I reached the boardwalk, I noticed a different bird mixed among the feeding swallows and waxwings. This one had quite dark sides, as they say, resembling a vest. Only one bird came to mind... an Olive-sided Flycatcher. I worked my way closer to it, and found it to be just that.
 I sat on a bench and watched as it would move away but come back to a nearby tree. Unfortunately, this bird was sensitive to the movement of the many walkers and moved back quite a way.
I didn't take the time to wait any longer, but I felt pretty sure it would move in closer for those who want to view it. The Olive-sided Flycatcher is an uncommon breeder in the province, but it doesn't frequent the eastern side of the island very often. I felt pretty lucky to get such a good look at this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment