Sunday, November 21, 2010

Tattered Mourning Dove

 On Friday, I added one more bird to my Backyard List. For a brief moment this haggared Mourning Dove perched on my fence., looking beleagured.

I was confused about what exactly it was. While this bird has the distinct blotchy Mourning Dove markings such as the dark spot below and behind the eye, the dark brown marks on the wing feathers and the shape of the wing, I wasn't convenienced that it was an MD.

Its color is much darker than the usual Mourning Dove and the tail was the big problem. It didn't have the two long tail feathers that make the MD look sleek and streamlined. Instead, it has a grey feather with a white tip. I sent the pictures off to two different birding experts in town and they confirmed that it was a Mourning Dove that had likely been attacked by a cat or a raptor.

Well, I guess this is as good a time as any for my rant about my neighbor's cat that is running free day and night. Although I didn't see the cat hurt this bird, I have watched it daily enter my yard and stalk the birds in my yard. It hides under the shrubs and pounces at first opportunity. It has been more than two months now that I have had to go into the yard and wave a newspaper to get this cat out of my yard. I am really tired of it. It is so hungry for attention it will even head towards me when I shoooo it away.

There are bylaws in this town, but I don't want to report anyone but this has to end soon. Today, I will be looking up ideas to discourage this cat from entering my yard!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you SO much for posting pictures of the dove!!! I've been looking for picture of doves with their tail feathers missing for the past two days. I wanted to get a better look for a drawing I am doing based off a dove I helped save that was having a really hard time balancing without it's tail after it was attacked. (Mostly because it was traumatized and flapping around on the ground in hysterics.)

    ReplyDelete