Saturday, September 2, 2017

Cerulean Warbler

 Like clockwork, I routinely check several spots at this time of the year. Rarely am I disappointed. In fact, today I was pretty contented before I got to the bus shelter. I had seen four raptors at Cape Spear, and the sparrows were thick as thieves.
 I checked several places on the way back from Cape Spear and was happy to see a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Black and White, Blackpoll and Common Yellowthroat.
 Anything beyond that was gravy. Indeed, it was!
 My first glimpse of the Cerulean Warbler was not a knowing look. At first, I thought I was seeing a pale Black and White Warbler. Soon enough, the bird stepped out into the open.
 I have to tell the truth. I did not know what I was looking at. I had never seen a Cerulean Warbler before, and I didn't have my guide book with me.
 I watched it and followed it as it moved among the leaves. Periodically, I was rewarded with a clear view.
 How exciting it is to have an unknown, new bird in front of me. I looked and looked gathering detail.
 The most striking feature was the blue. In some light, it look really, really blue. In some light, it looked greenish blue. So interesting.
 Wing bars were prominent, and the bird was small. The tail looked short. There seems to be a strong eye-line, but the field guide does not show that.
Now, how do I let people know? There was no phone service in the area. I moved around a lot looking for a hotspot, but nothing.
 I stayed with the bird for more than 30 minutes to get all of these pictures. Then, I rushed home to post the sighting.
 As I look at the discussion group NFBirds, I realize it has been quite a while since a Cerulean has been spotted on the East Avalon. I have said it so many times: You just never know what will pop up. The key is to go looking and keep looking.
This last shot shows the white tail marks. 'Tis a joyful time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment