Saturday, September 9, 2017

Interesting Dowitchers

 Renews Beach is definitely an interesting spot to bird. Sometimes it is crawling with little birds, sometimes it's not, and sometimes it offers up extremely rare delights. Earlier this week the areat was quite calm. I did see a flock of about 20 peeps flying about as I first drove by the beach, but when I returned later they were gone.
 What I did find were three very tame Short-billed Dowitchers chowing down on whatever mixed in with the fresh seaweed.
 They stayed put as I walked down the beach. Of course, there were the typical yellowlegs, about 20 I think. Of those I can confidently say 6 of them were Lesser Yellowlegs.
 A lone Ruddy Turnstone was flipping stones looking for a meal.
 Just to make sure I hadn't missed anything, I walked down the road to the bridge. As I went, I was surprised by another lone Dowitcher. It bolted as soon as I got near. Why was it alone? Why was it so skittish?
 I got these pics in the hopes it might turn out to be a Long-billed Dowitcher. Unfortunately, I have since learned it would take more than these shots to confirm a Long-Billed.
I share this info in the hopes that anyone traveling down that way and has the knowledge, to check out the beach for a lone Dowitcher. Maybe there is a surprise there.

No comments:

Post a Comment