Monday, August 22, 2016

Brown-headed Cowbird

 The morning started off slow with very little activity, but that quickly changed. More on the other birds on next post. The best bird of the day turned out to be this Brown-headed Cowbird.
 Coming from the gravel road and driving slowly up Cochrane Pond Road in front of the farm, I spotted a bird much smaller than the nearby starlings, but not small enough to be a junco or a warbler. Curious, I stopped.
With only about 60 seconds to work with, I was able to snap enough to make a positive ID. Had the road not been so busy with traffic, I might have relocated it. The birds kept flushing making it very difficult. The final flush came when a hawk swept through the area. Show over! In the same area there were Yellow Warblers, Black and White Warblers, Blackpoll and plenty of juncos.

 Left unidentified is this sparrow. It is really gray and brown and shows a hint of a wing bar. I thought it might be an immature bird or maybe one in the midst of changing into its fall frock, but I don't know what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment