Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pink-Footed Goose & Belted Kingfisher

This small goose is a Pink Footed Goose native to Greenland but occasionally, a vagrant will find its way to Newfoundland. This one settled in a small drain pond off the Goulds access road and has been hanging around there for about three weeks now. It is considered a rare bird in this province. While I was viewing the goose, four more car loads of birders showed up. One of the great things about the birder community is that it is so open to sharing the experience with others. Once a rare or unusual bird it sighted, it goes onto the discussion group web site, and flocks of birders rush to see the rare bird.




While hanging around trying to get better lighting for a goose picture, along came a Belted Kingfisher. It was ready for its morning feeding and stayed quite a while. Birding is "like a box of chocolates; you never know what you are going to get!"


Both the goose and the kingfisher are very skittish of people so I was limited to photos that I could take from my car window. I knew the minute that I would get out of my car both subjects would flee. Kingfishers are particularly hard to photograph because they move very fast and will not tolerate people. This is the best shot I have of this species.


A massive hybrid Mallard is also hanging out in the same pond. It is almost as big as the goose. Its head is mostly brown but does have some green. His size certainly helps him to have his way with the ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment