Sunday, February 21, 2010

Double-crested Cormorant and American Coot





Much to my surprise, the bad weather held off until early afternoon. Of course, that meant I had to go out to try to get a better picture of the White-winged Crossbill. I did, but it is still too far away. I will continue to pursue that because I really like its bright red color. As a bonus today, I saw a Ruffed Grouse. It didn't cooperate well for pictures, but I did get the important record shot.

Today, I chose two odd looking birds to share. The Double-crested Cormorant is such a hearty looking bird. It surely must be built for the hard weather of the shoreline.

The other bird, the American Coot, looks somewhat like a chicken. It walks like one and has feet more similar to a chicken than a duck. Some people mistake this bird for a duck, particularly when it is sitting in the water. It seems very clumsy with its big feet. This little guy is not supposed to be in Newfoundland. It must have gotten blown off course. It has been at Quidi Vidi Lake all winter.

If you want to see some amazing photos recently posted, visit Brandon Holdon Photography. The link to his site is listed on the right sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment