Friday, October 15, 2010

Ruddy Turnstone

 These pictures of a Ruddy Turnstone were taken on September 11, 2010 on the Southern Shore of Newfoundland. They represent my one and only viewing of the Ruddy Turnstone. I was on a tour and was unable to linger to attempt to get better pictures. I had hoped to see them again on some of my other outings but so far, nothing.
 The Ruddy Turnstone is an Arctic bird that breeds on the tundra. While Newfoundland is out of its usual range, they do turn up here on a regular basis. These birds are already molding into their winter plumage which lacks the deep browns often seen in the summer.
 The Ruddy Turnstone works through the seaweed to find insects, mollusks, crustaceans, worms or even other bird's eggs. It is strong enough to turn over stones to forage underneath. This bird is known to be tame with humans but aggressive to predators.
These pictures were taken from a great distance. I am very happy that the bird is somewhat clear for the purpose of my first record shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment