Monday, October 18, 2010

Great Cormorant

 This is a group of Great Cormorant. There appear to be at least two juvenile birds among them. They are the lighter color birds (brown.) The Great Cormorant is a common bird around the coast of Newfoundland. I have never seen one inland.
 As I review these pictures I see several differences between them and the Double-crested Cormorant that I have observed several times. These birds seem to be quite darker and have the white at the base of the bill. There also seems to be some breeding plumage. These shots were taken in February.
These poses are quite different from the Double-crested. The raised tail and raised bill are very interesting. I wonder if this is part of a breeding ritual. If you have any answers, please comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment