Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Downy Woodpecker

 While in Arkansas during the summer I saw Downy Woodpeckers in two different locations.  One was in northern Arkansas and the other was in Central. Both areas are very much within the normal range of the Downy.

It closely resembles the Hairy Woodpecker but the beak of the Hairy is much bigger.
 These pictures leave a lot to be desired. As I look at many of the photos that I uploaded today are the result of my asking my 300 mm lens to behave like a 500 mm. It just can't do it. However, I have captured record shots and working at these distances are helping to steady my aim for closer shots.  I have already moved up two lenses since I started shooting in February of last year.
Considering that I have only been birding and trying my hand at bird photography for seven months, I can see that I am making progress. These images remind be where I am starting and give me something to aspire to.

No comments:

Post a Comment