Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Northern Harrier

    The Northern Harrier is very common   in Newfoundland, as far as raptors go. I have had several opportunities to photograph them but so far, I have not even got a "good" picture yet. The pictures above show and immature Northern Harrier with its white rump flashing. I encountered that bird while drive along Marine Drive. I spotted it in the field and it was pretty close. I was moving along about 50 km per hour, with a car behind me. All I could do was grab for my camera and shoot out of the window while driving. I watched where the bird went and pulled off to try to follow it on foot. I looked for
over 30 minutes and could not relocate it. I missed that chance.


The remaining record shots presented here are of an adult Northern Harrier in flight. I have come up on them briefly on dark days and on one sunny day. This last picture is the clearest and best of the lot.

As I look at these three latest raptor postings, I realize how much more work I have to try to get better shots. Unfortunately, these hawks are not as
predictable as an Osprey or Bald Eagle. In their cases, they tend to return to the same sight for several days in a row. I can wait for them. Finding these hawks is by happen chance and luck.





No comments:

Post a Comment