Friday, October 8, 2010

Mourning Dove

The Mourning Dove is an occasional bird to Newfoundland. It is rare for them to breed here. However, it appears that they did because this seems to be an immature Mourning Dove.

 I found this dove on Fogo Island in September. The NL Field Guide does indicate that they are most likely to be seen during migration. This would be true for this sighting. It was surprising how tame this dove was. I started shooting from quite a distance and worked my way closer and closer. In fact, I got too close for the range of my camera. I had to back up.
For the purpose of comparison, I am posting images of Eurasian Collared Dove. Note that this dove has a very dark eye, brown blotches on its back and its size. These are all different on the Eurasian Collared Dove.

No comments:

Post a Comment