Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Most Photogenic Pied-Billed Grebe Ever

 I became accustomed to the idea quite some time ago that learning to be a wild life photographer and a bird watcher at the same time was going to leave me with a choice.  Which do I attempt to do first? I chose to watch birds and try to get record shots to record my adventures. If the time ever comes that I master one skill, I will work harder at developing the other.
It is a rare opportunity to have a bird cooperate as this little Pied-billed Grebe did. Typically, this "dive and disappear" bird leaves me frustrated and with pitiful pictures.  When we pulled up along side Forest Pond yesterday, this grebe actually started swimming toward us.  I eased out of the car and expected it to vanish right before my eyes. That didn't happen. It came closer. What a shock!
It takes so many elements to come together at the same time to produce a good photo of a bird, not the least of which is skill.  I am working on that. However, I didn't have to engage many changes in settings yesterday afternoon.
It was as if this grebe wanted to go down in history. It posed this way and that way; it sang and preened to my delight. In between poses he would look at me as if to say, "Did you get that?"
There are birders/photographers here in St. John's who can turn a momentary glimpse of a bird in to what looks like a studio portrait. I marvel at their skills and certainly have something to aspire to.
In the meantime, I will just enjoy these better than my average shots and hope that more opportunities like this arise. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them.




No comments:

Post a Comment