Monday, June 10, 2013

Blue-headed Vireo - La Manche

To see this Blue-headed Vireo at La Manche Park was a real treat! I went down three times before I hit a morning concert.

Having almost given up on this one, I was pretty happy when I heard one singing on Power's Road. Despite its cheerful song, I could not see it until it flew from the tree and vanished.

There is no mistaking the happy song of this bird, as it fills up the surrounding area. There were other birds flitting around when I saw this one, but I just couldn't take my eyes off of it.

This is only the second time I have seen this species. It was last September when I got a fleeting look at the back side of one at Virginia River. At that time there was no song. So, seeing this particular bird was like seeing one for the very first time. It is well worth a drive to La Manche (several, in fact) to experience this.

No comments:

Post a Comment