Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Close Encounters

 My first bird of the day, an Indigo Bunting, was the best bird of the day. Unfortunately, I don't have a single photo. I saw it clearly with binoculars through the windshield of my car. However, the minute I got out of the car, it vanished. I tried long and hard to relocate it with no success.
 However, the sheer amount of birds around this morning was uplifting. I'm sure I saw 40 species between Cape Spear, Bidgood Park and Powers Road. It is wonderful when the sun shines, and the birds sing. Another very nice encounter was meeting up with this screaming Northern Goshawk. It was amazingly close, sitting on the branch for at least 5 minutes vocalizing.
 It is not often the opportunity arises to see this lovely bird so well.

 Sitting in a nearby tree was one Rusty Blackbird. The other must be on the nest by now. Both of these birds were in the area of the first pond on Powers Road.
In the same area as the Indigo Bunting, there were Yellow-rumped Warblers, a Blackpoll, two Wilson's and a Northern Waterthrush. This was my first good mix of woodland birds this season. It really set me up for the rest of the day, nearly the whole day. Good conditions and good birding make the hands on the clock fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment