Thursday, August 28, 2014

Immature Gray Jay

The Gray Jay is not a bird I see all the time around St. John's, but this year I seem to have seen more. There has been a group of three on Power's Road, where I have seen them on several different occasions.

This immature Gray Jay was travelling with two other young ones on Blackhead Road on August 16. This is only the second immature Gray Jay I have seen.

It was in 2011 when I saw my first. Of course, I snapped a few pictures of it and thought I might have a treasure. Later in the day, I ran into Bruce Mactavish where I eagerly showed him my photo. He dashed my hopes when it told me it was an immature Gray. Funny how I can remember almost each first sighting of each species.

As I reflect on that day, I still feel the excitement of having a photo of an unidentified bird, filled with anticipation to learn what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment