Sunday, July 21, 2013

Gray Comma

The comma, an anglewing butterfly, is very difficult for me to identify.  It is a combination of the coloring and the actual comma that present the challenge.

After five years of looking at anglewings, I have only found two Gray Commas. They are quite rare compared to the Green.

There were reports of a Question Mark being seen today. That is one I have yet to see.

The Green Comma can be much easier because of the amount of green on its underwing. Nevertheless, the shape of the comma is also confusing. In some there is a club on each end of the comma. I keep reading about these species, but the articles are inconsistent. The two reference books I have don't even attempt to address the differences. Hence, my struggle continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment