Wednesday, May 30, 2012

White-crowned Sparrow

While Newfoundland is in the migratory range for the White-crowned Sparrow, I really didn't ever expect to see one.  They are most often reported on the west coast, so it was particularly exciting when Catherine and Paul Barrett reported one at their feeder. There, it joins a Fox Sparrow and White-throated Sparrow.
When I heard about it, I immediately headed to Goulds to see this one. Right on cue, it hopped up in a tree and then down on the ground.
The markings of this sparrow are very distinct.  The broad white crown bordered by black stripes and its plain gray breast are very prominent.  I also found the white spots on the wing bars to be very interesting.
This sparrow eats seeds, grass, buds, fruits and insects.  It will readily eat from a ground feeder of sunflower seeds and mixed bird seed. To attract this bird into your yard, try sprinkling seed on the ground near a wooded area for quick escape. If there is no protected area in your yard, try creating a brush pile that it can retreat into.
I didn't do a very good job on these pictures, despite a good opportunity.  I decided to take my camera in for a cleaning. When using it on a daily basis and placing it on the floor in the back seat of my car in between birds, it surely acquires a lot of dirt build-up. It took the auto focus to slow before I gave into giving it up for a couple of days.
Hats off to the Barretts who have been able to attract so many wonderful birds to their yard by always keeping their feeders topped up and for sharing the fruit of their labour with us all.

This is my fourth new bird for 2012. 

Note:  I removed the Google Ads from my site and the McAffee warning seems to have disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment