Friday, November 25, 2011

Greater Yellowlegs at Second Pond

These photos date back to the evening of September 1, 2011.  It is funny how the many pictures that I have can prompt a clear recollection.  I had gone for a walk at Second Pond after supper in search of some special shorebirds that had been showing up in this area.

I was alone soaking up the surroundings and gazing at this Greater Yellowlegs standing on this rock.  It was the only bird in the area at the moment. It was then that my phone rang and the voice on the other end said, "Turn around." I did and there was the welcome face of another birder who had also grabbed a moment after supper to check out the birds.
 She walked over and we were standing there talking when the Greater Yellowlegs lifted off and flew right past us. Through pure reflex I lifted my camera and fired off the two shots that I showcase today.
The Greater Yellowlegs is a great bird to photograph.  Its features are so distinct, its behaviour is very predictable, its colors typically contrast very well with its surroundings and it will often stay close to shore. Some of my favorite pictures are of this species.

Click on the images to get a better look.

No comments:

Post a Comment