Friday, April 15, 2011

More Feeder Birds

Activity at my bird feeders has been very slow lately, even the Juncos are scarce. However, this does not seem to be the case at other feeders. As I check out the known feeders in town, I am finding quite a lot of feeder birds. Yet, since these feeders are on other people's property, I am unable to get close. So close and yet so far, as they say. How hard is it to get a good picture of a little bird at 30 yards? Very!

These Common Redpolls are bright and colorful but in the shadows of the trees and at such a distance, I have been unable to do justice to their beauty in a picture.  The best I can do is to enjoy them through the binoculars, where they are stunning.

 I found this Pine Siskin at yet another feeder. I was able to sit and watch for quite a while until this little one finally came out from behind all of the branches and sat for a minute. Opportunities are so fleeting. One minute they are there and the next, they are gone.

 The female Purple Finch are looking particularly sharp these days and their light streaks really catch the light. I hadn't realized how much bigger they are than the American Goldfinch until I saw them at a feeder together.
At Long Pond, Pippy Park it is a sure thing to see Red-breasted Nuthatch on the North side of the trail at the first bench from the West end. There is a lot of small bird activity in that spot. The area is already "birdy" and the regular supply of bird seed has stepped up the activity. For the first time at Long Pond, I saw a Fox Sparrow joining in with the Nuthatch, Black-capped Chickadees, Juncos and Blue Jays.

I have yet to see the Brown Creeper at Long Pond this year. I will take a walk today to see what I turn up. It is kind of like an Easter Egg Hunt - look in all the likely places and hope for a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment