Thursday, February 3, 2011

Shot of the Day - Common Gull

Yesterday, I went out (unplanned I might add) to see if I could add any new birds to my Winter List. I had several leads and set out to follow up on them. I went in search of the Northern Mockingbird - Nada! I circled around several times and then was off to find the small flock of Common Grackles - Nada! I checked out a yard that had reported Bohemian Waxwings - Nada! Then I thought I would head to Blackhead and Cape Spear to find the Grey Jay, Peregrine Falcon, Wilson's Snipe and maybe even a seabird or two - Nada!

This day of birding was not shaping up. On my way back I took a peek at Pier 17 where I did come across a flock of 12 Great Cormorants - not with great access for photographing though. I took a few shots anyway. Then I decided to run by QV Lake before calling it a day. I travelled by way of Quidi Vidi Road, and  just before I got to Belbin's Grocery, I spotted a tufted bird fly down on the side of the road. I stopped quickly (thank goodness there were no cars behind me.) In just moments I spotted over a dozen Bohemian Waxwings scouring the tree for the scant berries that still hung there. There was no room to park or get out of my car. My only hope of getting any pictures was to open my sun roof and do the best I could.  I'll share these shots on another day.

Feeling somewhat uplifted after a very dry, cold day of searching, I went on to the lake. Not much activity but there were several Common (Mew) Gulls resting at the west end of the lake. It was there that I got this simple little shot of the Mew Gull surrounded by fresh snow. It turned out to be my favorite picture garnered yesterday. Hope you like it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment