Saturday, September 4, 2010

Fox Sparrow - Backyard


It is so nice when birds choose to visit my yard. This was the case with a pair of Fox Sparrows. In mid-July, I looked out, as I often do, on my yard and my three feeders. Much to my surprise and delight, I found six different species that day, including this Fox Sparrow.

Since the pictures don't take themselves, I ran for the camera and was able to get several shots of the different visitors. To my knowledge, this is the first time that the Fox Sparrow has come to call.

The Fox Sparrow is one of the more brightly colored sparrows. Its rufous color really sets it apart and makes it very easy to identify very quickly. On that day, the birds were all in an eating frenzy, no singing. They must have anticipated bad weathers because I often have the most feathered visitors, just before a spell of bad weather.

When I reviewed my posting of the Fox Sparrow of May 31st, there is no comparison to the detail of these photos. I continue to work my garden to make it a more desirable place for all birds to visit. It is like a never-ending Discovery Channel devoted to birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment