Saturday, July 31, 2010

Purple Finch

The Purple Finch is an interesting little bird. The male has these bright colors and the female is all brown with a few white markings. I have not included a female in this posting but will add one later, at first chance.

I didn't have to go far to get these shots of this Purple Finch as he is a backyard visitor. The females seem to come into the yard more often but when this fellow shows up, it is special.

My list of backyard birds has grown this summer. So far I have had: Northern Flickers, Tree Swallows, Fox Sparrows, White-throated Sparrows, American Goldfinches, Rock Doves, Juncos, Purple Finches, Pine Siskins, Bluejays, American Robins, European Starlings and several sparrows yet unidentified.
I am experimenting with a glaucous blur on some pictures where the background is distracting. This is going to take some time to perfect but is very interesting to work with.

These shots were taken in late June. With the good weather, I am still very slow about organizing all of my new images. Can't miss the opportunity to be outside when possible! There will be enough bad-weather days in the future that will surely nail me to my computer chair. Until then, I am off again today to enjoy all that summer has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment