Thursday, June 10, 2010

Magnolia Warbler

I photographed this Magnolia Warbler on May 30, 2010 on Cochrane Pond Road. I really like this little bird. Maybe because it resembles the Yellow-rumped Warbler which was the first warbler that I saw. Maybe it's because of its name. When I grew up we had the grandest Magnolia Tree in our front yard that had flowers that spanned at least 12 inches. When I saw this little bird, I almost expected to smell the sweet nectar of that old Magnolia tree. In fact, this bird was named Magnolia because it was first spotted in a Magnolia tree in 1810 by Alexander Wilson. (Birds of Newfoundland Field Guide)


This Magnolia Warbler appeared briefly but chose to show up in a rare moment of brightness and stayed long enough to sing us a song. This species is fairly common in the province and can be most often found in coniferous forests. It tends to perch atop the tree making it easy to observe. It, like other warblers, feeds on insects and if you have been out lately, you know that we have a lot of those.


I mentioned that this bird was in fine voice when he stopped over but who knew just how full his voice could be.  He started to croon a tune that any warbler could be proud of, but then he went into a full rendition of the loudest and longest song that I have heard any little bird sing. He sang his heart out for us. It was a full-blown concert!
I posted this evening because tomorrow promises to be a really nice day, and I haven't been birding in two days. I will be out the door nice and early in the morning to catch the golden hour and any little birds that cross my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment